Water is one of the basic elements of Mother Nature. 70% of our body is made up of water. This is a known fact that we can’t live without water. This article is all about Shimla and its connection with water.
At present Shimla has a daily requirement of ‘65 million liters’ of water daily. The “IRRIGATION AND PUBLIC HEALTH” department supplies ’55 million liters’ of water daily to the city. After wastage ’52-53 million liters’ is available to the city which is supplied by the municipal corporation.
This picture explains the flow of water from ‘IPH dept.’ to us.
During summers the supply decreases and the tourists increase.
Here are some interesting facts-
1. According to a law in Shimla each and every new structure should have provision for rain water harvesting.(I still see many new buildings without such measure.)
2. There are many hotels in Shimla having this rainwater harvesting package.
3. The water rates in Shimla are 17.85 rupees per kilo liters of water. This is a rise from 10% to the earlier price. The water prices in Shimla will see a rise of 10% at the end of financial year.
(1st April to 31st March)
4. The water we receive is about 80% subsidized. Just calculate how much cost would you incur if water was not subsidized.
5. The water is treated and made suitable for drinking by “IPH DEPARTMENT”.
6. Shimla supply lines have history connection to 1875 when the first water supply lines were commissioned. Very few changes in the supply have been made since then.
7. Water is lifted with the help of pumps now and then, this adds to the additional costs which are included in the total costs (17.85 rupees)
8. Earlier only five supply lines were there. The sixth from the ‘GIRI River’ was added to meet the excess demands.
9. It is a future estimate that all six will not be able to supply as much, as to meet the future demands.
WHAT TO DO???????
What Government is doing –?
1. An ambitious project to lift water from the Satluj and Giri Rivers.
2. To channelize water in 67 streams in Shimla
(Channelizing- Straightening, shortening a stream etc.)
3. The government is thinking of privatizing the Water Supply.
How You Will Suffer-?
· Channelizing will lead to erosion and many other harmful effects. Stones provide oxygen to the water flow. In channelized flow majorly concrete channel will be there and so no stones. The water quality will decrease because the natural aquifers will not be present.
· If privatization occurs, so the rates will definitely soar. ARE YOU READY TO PAY 1000 RUPEES PER MONTH INSTEAD OF MEAGRE 200-300?????
· Bringing water from distant rivers like Satluj etc. would be a highly costly affair.
· The rates of water will definitely go high in case demand surpasses supply.
SOLUTION- The rainwater is the purest source of water. Some facts about rainfall in Shimla are-
1. Shimla receives its 70% rainfall in the duration (June-August).
2. About 1400 million liters of water touches the grounds.
3. Such rainwater harvesting structures if built all over Shimla, a serious water crisis would definitely be solved. NATIONAL ACADEMY OF AUDITS AND ACCOUNTS, CENTRAL GOVT. OFFICE COMPLEX and BENLOW RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX in Shimla have Rainwater harvesting structures.
4. Training plumbers, masons, engineers etc. would be the first step towards water harvesting.
5. Small catchment areas if developed will refill the groundwater level. Don’t take ground water to be granted, it will also end one day.
6. The water channelization should be eco-friendly.
You will be surprised to know that the water samples which have been given to MC for checkup have been found satisfactory in almost all cases. Well more doubted people can check out at private laboratories. Here’s the link to clear your doubts. http://hpiph.org/Water%20sample.htm
· I will say using GIS systems will be of very much benefit to the govt. A pilot project has been started by the govt. for the same.
· Watershed development should take place. A scheme in Theog is for the same project.
MAXIMUM PEOPLE BLAME GOVT. FOR IRREGULARITIES. THE THING IS PEOPLE LACK UNITY. UNITED WE CAN BRING A CHANGE. IT IS NEVER A SINGLE MANS SHOW. IF YOU WANT IT, YOU WILL HAVE IT.
Technorati Tags: Solving Water Problems In Shimla